Monday 29 September 2014

Day 7 - Huye for the National Museum, and back to Kigali (29/9)

Great start to the day with breakfast in the sun outside our room.  The orange jam may've been of indeterminate origin (peach, perhaps?!) but tasty on toast, and the tea and coffee were as good as ever.  Shall definitely be exporting some...



To the splendid National Museum which told us about Rwanda's history and ethnography (though curiously not a whisper about 1994) beginning with the stone age




The Gatagama pottery which I'd then wanted to visit had just closed for lunch as we arrived, so we decamped to the nearest village for excellent goat kebabs and a refreshing Primus beer (we're still working through all Rwanda has to offer)



and returned to meet the various workers whose efforts made the mug I bought (I'd planned on a tea pot but they were all 3-pint-pots and jolly heavy); it had never occurred to me that you have to make clay but we met the chaps who collect and pound the mud, then those who filter it for pebbles and imperfections, the potters who throw/mould it, and the big bloke who delicately glazes and  fires everything for 24 hours in his, apparently hand-built, kiln.  I'll remember them all when I'm drinking my Rwandan tea at home from my new mug...




We stopped at Kabgayi cathedral (Rwanda's oldest)




before arriving back in Kigali just in time for rush hour.


Last Rwandan night already!

No comments:

Post a Comment